Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bible Thoughts: Even Barnabas!


While doing my Bible study today, I was reading in Galatians and came across Galatians 2:13 (emphasis mine): "And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with them, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy." Even Barnabas. 

Now obviously, this verse is in the context of a much larger passage, but I really want to focus in on what I took from this one verse. I love the Bible, and I love the translation I use (the ESV) as well. That imagery is so powerful to me, even Barnabas. What's the big deal or application here, you may be wondering? Really, it's the even.

I love Barnabas. He is one of my all time favorite people in the Bible, probably because I relate to him so much. He was called Barnabas (the son of encouragement) because to him (and likewise to me) encouragement came extremely naturally. He was always spreading good to those around him and lifting the spirits of everyone he knew. He was a dedicated follower of Christ and one who used his talents to serve God completely. Clearly, an amazing and godly man.

But here in this passage, we see him fall into the trap of hypocrisy. That is one of the things about the Bible: it doesn't sugar coat the facts...the people are not without sin, and clearly it is inspired because anyone trying to create "perfect" characters surely wouldn't expose such fleshly flaws in some of the heros of the story. But here he is, amazing Barnabas, falling into the trap. And yet you see that word I love so much here... even.

What does that word, even, imply in its context? To me, it clearly says a few things: it was not something normal of or expected from Barnabas; it was a surprise. Why? Because it was outside of his normal character. What a compliment from the inspired Word of God! To say that to do something immoral, to follow an ungodly crowd, to stray from what was right was outside his normal realm of integrity.

Now, don't misunderstand. I certainly am not saying he did well by falling into that trap of hypocrisy or sinning. I am commending his overall character, that was so high that the "even" before Barnabas was necessary. I love how we can all apply this to our lives as well... if the Bible were written about my character today, would that "even" be needed? Would it be needed to describe your character?

May we all learn from Barnabas and his great character, and strive to be more like him every day, and ultimately, more like Jesus.

P.s. To my readers, thanks so much for sticking with me. I don't blog as often as I'd like, but I am going to try and do at least one post a month minimum from now on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment