Sunday, June 8, 2014

Bible Thoughts: Showing Perfect Courtesy

Titus 3:2. I keep coming back to it. Why? Because I need it, pretty much every day.

"To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people." (Titus 3:2 ESV)

Whew. That's not easy to do!

I love this verse, because it reminds me to not react. Sometimes (and I hate to admit this) I am quick to get very angry. Quick to want to backbite, or "show up" someone who has wronged me or said something hateful, especially those who do it without reason or provocation. On a daily basis, I deal with people who are just flat out rude, without reason, just because, no matter how nice I may be or how sweetly I may speak.

So, I train myself. I practice self-control. I do my best not to react, but instead to purpose. What does that mean? To me, it means a few things:

1.  I read before I speak. Huh? I know, lol. Sounds confusing. But it means, every morning, before I am faced with the world's not so friendly, I read the Word of God. I read how I am not to complain, how I am to be a light, how I am to practice self-control, how I am to be like Jesus. And Jesus knew a lot more about being mistreated than I ever will, that's for sure.

2. I write before I speak. Most people don't write their prayers, they say them aloud or in their mind, but I write mine. Is this any real surprise? Everything I do is writing related and my heart comes out through my fingers much more often than it does my mouth. It's just who I am. So after I fill my mind with things that help me to be who I should, I write. I write my prayers to God and pray for strength and humility and the desire to be like Him. I write for the things I need so much, because without God and His loving principles guiding me, I am not who I should be.

3. I reflect before I speak. This one takes me back so often to Titus 3:2 and other Scriptures. It's also that little reminder inside me to be like the Lord. That tugging saying, Do what is right, not what is reflexive. Because let me tell you, my natural reflex is not to speak evil of no one, avoid quarreling, and show that perfect (perfect!) courtesy toward all people. Because some people are just so mean it will just about make me cry or blow my top from anger. But then, in those moments, I try to reflect. I try to be more like Jesus and less like Emily.

So, how can we live Titus 3:2 in our daily lives? How can we learn to focus on this perfect courtesy, this amazing self-control, this unthinkable bridling of our tongues? For me, it begins with reading, writing, and reflecting...all before I open my mouth.

May the Lord bless us all with reflective, humble, loving hearts each day, and spirits that show perfect courtesy towards others, especially when they deserve it least.

No comments:

Post a Comment