Thursday, June 28, 2012

Rest



Where do you find rest? For me, it's the ocean. Something inside me always leads me back to its shores. It's the place that gives me rest. I sit on the expansive sand and I forget about worries. Deadlines. Stresses. I watch the waves lapping gently over each other and think of how all lives are intersected that way. We all cross over each other and fill in where another person left off. We are all different. We are all the same. We’re like the waves.

I dream. I imagine. I see storylines in my head  come to life as I look at the far off sunset. I picture living on the beach, waking up to the sound of the ocean and taking a morning walk along its abandoned shores. I breathe deeply, more deeply than I do anywhere else. I smell the salt and the wind and the fresh air feels new in my lungs. I live.

Some people have no use for the beach; they say they could take it or leave it. I’m not one of them. I am my absolute happiest when I am sitting on its shores, surrounded by peace, surrounded by calm, surrounded by God. It’s my place.

This week I’ve been in Michigan with our church group working on a VBS. It has been a good experience, but in all honesty a very trying one as well. We’ve had cars break down, a stomach flu pass through about half the people here, and many other factors play into a hard week for us all. We have tried to stay positive, but at some moments it has felt more difficult than others.

Last night, this was my view. This was my comfort. I came and sat at the feet of my Creator and watched Him work. It was beautiful. It was breathtaking. It was inspiring.

It gave me rest.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, this is getting weird. It's my favorite thinking spot also. I had never been until I was 18 and I feel in love with it. I tell people it's not the sand and the sun that make me long to go back but the ocean itself. The way it keeps going with no end in sight. It is a reminder to me of the greatness of God.

    ReplyDelete