Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bible Thoughts: The Secret Of Living

Have you ever tried to live more than one day at a time?

I know, this seems like such a silly question. But I challenge you to really consider the concept. Now obviously, one cannot physically live beyond the day they are in, but many times (for me many, many times!) haven't we allowed our minds to emotionally or mentally live more than one day at a time?

Maybe you are living in the past, looking back in regret at days you can never change. Maybe you are looking into the future, looking forward to things you imagine will happen, such as children, promotions, a bigger house, or a better paycheck. Maybe you just look slightly forward, to tomorrow and the heavy burden of responsibilities you may bear.

Obviously, there is some benefit in looking ahead, so one can be prepared. We cannot live as if there is only today. It bugs me when people say, "Live today as if it were your last!" I get the concept, I really do. But let's be real. If today is my last day, I'm definitely not going into work. Neither is my hubby. I may even eat whatever I want because, well, it's my last day. But guess what. That leads to us both being fired and unhealthy. Clearly not a good choice.

Additionally, there is some benefit to looking behind, because our experiences from the past teach us and mold us, and if we handle them in the right way, benefit us in our future. But what happens if we spend all our time looking behind? We miss opportunities. We don't invest in friendships or relationships in the now, because our thoughts are on the then. We lose sight of what is to come because we can't take our eyes off of what's already been.

So how are we to live? Let's look at Matthew 6:25-34, one of my very FAVORITE passages in the Bible:

"Therefore, I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your Heavenly father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

Therefore, do not be anxious, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink" or "What shall we wear?" For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the days is its own trouble."

I've been learning a lot from this passage and my reflection on it lately. What is it telling us?

1. Trust God!
He knows your needs and will provide your needs (such as food, clothing, shelter, etc). Just look at nature and how He provides, and realize how much more valuable and worthy you are as His children. Is He going to care for the birds and not His own children?

2. Stop worrying and being anxious!
Where do worry, anxiety, and fear truly come from? A dependency on self and not on the Lord. When we truly do begin to trust in God, worrying and anxiety stop. What is there to worry about?

3. Learn from yesterday, look forward to tomorrow, but live for today.
The secret of living is to do it each day. When you actively focus in on the moment, the day, solving only its problems, doesn't life become beautifully simple? Wearing clothes? Good. No need to worry about tomorrow, because you are living in today. Have a full belly? Great. No need to worry about being hungry, because your need has already been met. Enjoying a warm and cozy place to stay? Give thanks, instead of worrying about how you will pay for your mortgage later in the month.

Why do I share these things? Because they have helped me. I'm the world's BIGGEST planner (long term goals, intermediate goals, short term goals, daily goals kind of person!) and when things don't fit "my" expectations or plans, I sometimes tend to get a little (or a lot) stressed. I may begin to worry... a lot. I may start to doubt God and trust in myself. Not only are these things generally detrimental, let's not forget what is worse than that: they are sinful!

So, since the beginning of this year, I have made a concerted effort to do better. To NOT worry. To TRUST God. To LIVE today. Really live. And let me tell you, it has been amazingly freeing!

I spend a lot more time in prayer and Bible study. I still have lists and goals, but I focus on what I need to accomplish TODAY and today only while it is still today. I can look at my list for tomorrow TOMORROW, when it becomes the new today. I encourage you if you struggle with enjoying the moment and truly living for today to put these principles into action in your life. I hope you will be blessed in the way that I have been!

"I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly." -John 10:10 ESV














No comments:

Post a Comment